Canvas shoes are the only shoes that look elegant to persons of all age groups. They are made of more long-lasting material and are more flexible than other types of shoes. In this article, I will explain how to clean canvas shoe step by step, things you require during cleaning, and factors to consider before cleaning canvas shoes.
Expert Tips On How to Clean Canvas Shoes
The following are some tips to use when cleaning canvas shoes:
- Spot treat any dirt or stain on the soles after every wear using a magic eraser. If the discoloration is on the entire sole, mix some lemon juice or baking soda with water and scrub the canvas using a toothbrush.
- After every wear shakes the dirt off on the outside pavement to evade build-up.
- In case the shoes have mud, allow them to dry off before you remove the dirt with a shoe brush.
- Use a commercial stain remover to remove any hard stain before washing.
- Air dry canvas shoes and avoid direct heat or sunlight.
Things to Consider Before Cleaning Canvas Shoes
What they are made of – Shoes made of leather should be washed with leather conditioners while other fabric shoes should be cleaned using a bar of mild soap with warm water.
Color of the canvas shoes – If your shoes have some details, avoid any bleaching detergent that could fade off the colored parts. This also applies to black canvas shoes.
Method for cleaning– In case you are using a washing machine to clean the canvas shoes, make sure you put them along with some other clothes to avoid weakening the glue. If you are hand-washing, just wash them separately. Hand washing is the tiresome method, but it is the best as it won’t cause glue weakening or any discoloration.
Hard stain– If your shoes contain hard stains that are difficult to clean, use a commercial stain remover before cleaning for better results.
Materials Needed For Cleaning Canvas Shoes
• Warm water
• Nylon scrub brush or an old toothbrush
• Soap- Use any mild detergent such as dishwashing liquid, laundry detergent, or any fabric or suede cleaner.
• Magic eraser
• A clean towel
• White cream shoe polish for white canvas shoes
How to Clean Canvas Shoes
The following are step by step guide on the best way to clean shoes:
Before cleaning canvas shoes, ensure that they dry if they are muddy. You can later remove the mud by tapping their under soles together with a newspaper or a wastebasket underneath. You can also smack them on the pavement.
- Take out the shoelaces. You can wash them with your laundry machine, but it is good to place them in a mesh bag to prevent it from becoming entangled.
- Using a throwaway toothbrush or a scrub brush, brush off any remaining loose dirt plus dust.
- Put some warm water in a bucket then add one or two tablespoons of gentle washing detergent. Whirl the water around to dissolve all the detergent.
- Take the scrub brush and deep it in the foamy water. Start by scrubbing the outer side of your canvas plus the outsoles. Rinse the dirt gently using the water to remove the dirt and any debris. You can then scrub the liners and the inner sides gently.
- Take the magic eraser or a nylon pad and dampen it with the soapy water. Use it to scrub the soles and other non-fabric portions of the shoes to remove any marks and dirt. The eraser cleans perfectly that your shoes start to look newer again.
To remove any foot odor, clean the canvas with a paste of baking soda and some warm water. Rinse off any remaining dirt with clean lukewarm water. If you want to clean black canvas shoes made of leather, look for a leather cleaner to clean the leathered parts.
Cleaning Canvas Shoes in a Washing Machine
Some people prefer the washing machine as the best way to clean shoes. However, several manufactures do not advise this method since it damages the adhesives that attach the shoes together.
How to Clean Black Canvas Shoes
· Use non-bleaching agent
If your canvas shoes are colored, ensure you use a non-bleaching detergent. You can test the soap on a small spot with the soapy water to be certain that it does not bleach or fade out the black color. You can then follow the steps above to clean.
· Remove excess water
To take up any excess water, pat using a clean towel. Put some paper bags or inside the shoes so that when they dry up, they will retain their shape. Avoid colored papers or newspaper to prevent the ink from staining the shoes.
· Dry the shoes
Put them in a warm area to air dry them. Avoid using a heater or placing them close to a fireplace to dry. After drying, put the laces and the inserts back.
Questions From The Reader
1. What can you use to clean white canvas shoes that turned yellow?
Pour ½ cup white vinegar plus warm water into a bucket during the final rinse. Put the shoes inside the water and let them settle for a few minutes. Remove to air dry.
2. Can toothpaste be used to clean white canvas sneakers?
Yes. The non-gel white toothpaste cleans perfectly. Use a toothbrush to apply it on the shoes, leave for about ten minutes then wipe off with a moist towel.
3. Can someone use hydrogen peroxide to clean white canvas sneakers?
Yes, but you should mix with baking soda and some water, apply and leave shoes in the sun to dry.
4. After cleaning white canvas shoes, can I leave them on the sun to dry?
No, it is not good as the sun heat can separate the glue. Leave them in a warm room to dry instead.
Cleaning canvas shoes requires special attention to maintain them longer. You should understand keenly how to clean canvas shoes, particularly white canvas sneakers. This is because they tend to become dirt easily and can discolor faster if not properly cleaned. I trust that I have given you the best way to clean shoes. Follow the steps, and you will never regret it.